Planning for Base 3Published on 1 December 2018
The final stage of winter base training, or ‘Base 3’ starts about 15 weeks before your first priority race. For me, this means that the final phase of my base training begins on the first week of December.
The main goal of my Base 3 training will be to increase muscular endurance. To achieve this I’ll be scheduling in lots of longer interval work of 6-12 minutes at a time, performed around my lactate threshold (zone 4). This contrasts the Base 1 and Base 2 training blocks, where the goal was primarily to ride long durations at a steady zone 2 pace.
I’ve marked one key workout each week where I will be targeting these zone 4 intervals. The cumulative time I spend in zone 4 during each of these workouts will ramp up from 24 minutes to 40 minutes by the end of the month.
Riding at around my lactate threshold for these longer durations is one of my limiters, so I expect to see significant improvements in my overall skillset, providing I can adhere to the plan.
Base 3 will take me all the way through December, including the Rapha Festive 500 at the end of the month. I’ll take a few day’s rest after New Years before beginning the first of my Build phases, which is when I will really start to focus my training efforts around the race season that is to come.
- Planned Duration: 15h 30m
- Planned TSS: 733
- Key workout: 3 hours / 3 x 8 minutes zone 4 with 2 minutes rest in between
- Notes: Time off work this week so maximise the opportunity to ride longer durations.
- Planned Duration: 17h 17m
- Planned TSS: 891
- Key workout: 2.5 hours / 3 x 10 minutes zone 4 with 2.5 minutes rest in between
- Notes: Team ride on Saturday
- Planned Duration: 15h 04m
- Planned TSS: 769
- Key workout: 3 hours / 4 x 8 minutes zone 4 with 2 minutes rest in between
- Notes: Look forward to rest on Sunday. Schedule means that the key workout this week will be at the end of a hard 5 day block.
- Planned Duration: 20h 20m
- Planned TSS: 958
- Key workout: 3 hours / 4 x 10 minutes zone 4 with 2.5 minutes rest in between
- Notes: Festive 500!